- Quality Council of India (QCI) was set up in 1997 jointly by the Government of India and the Indian Industry.
- Its mandate is to establish and operate a national accreditation structure and promote quality through the National Quality Campaign.
- The Ministry of Commerce & Industry is the nodal ministry for QCI.
- The Chairman of QCI is appointed by the Prime Minister on the recommendations of the industry to the Government.
Why in News?
- Quality Council of India has launched the Prof. S.K. Joshi Laboratory Excellence Award. This is the country’s first-of-its- kind Laboratory Excellence Award. This Award has been instituted to promote Laboratory Quality and performance improvement in the country.
- Late Prof. S.K. Joshi was a luminary in the field of Science and Academica. Prof. Joshi made a significant contribution in improving scientific research in India.