- The grouping of four democracies– India, Australia, US and Japan –known as the quadrilateral security dialogue or quad, was first mooted by Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in 2007. Quad was revived in 2017.
- Quad is projected as four democracies with a shared objective to ensure and support a “free, open and prosperous” Indo-Pacific region.
- With growing concerns in all four quad countries about Chinese foreign policy and regional influence, the group has found renewed relevance.
Why in News?
- The Chinese Ambassador to Bangladesh has said that the relationship between China and Bangladesh will be substantially damaged if it joins the four nation initiative Quad.
- Terming the four nation initiative Quad as a military alliance aimed against China’s resurgence and its relationship with neighbouring countries, the ambassador said that Bangladesh should not join it since it will not derive any benefit from it.
View all comments