Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojna (PMVDY) is an initiative targeting livelihood generation for tribals by harnessing the wealth of forest i.e. Van Dhan.
- Launched by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED in 2018, the programme aims to tap into traditional knowledge & skill sets of tribals by adding technology & IT to upgrade it at each stage and to convert the tribal wisdom into a viable economic activity.
- It is a mechanism for marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain.
- Under the program, MFP based tribal groups / enterprises of around 300 members will be formed for collection, value addition, packaging & marketing of Minor Forest Produces. These tribal enterprises will be in the form of Van Dhan Self Help Groups (SHGs) which will be a group of 15-20 members and such 15 SHG groups will further be federated into a larger group of Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKs) of around 300 members.
- TRIFED will support the VDVKs through providing them with model business plans, processing plans & tentative list of equipment for carrying out the value addition work of MFPs.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has launched the TRIFED VanDhan Chronicle, an in-depth resource on the Van Dhan Yojana and TRIFED’s activities related to the scheme.
- It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and it came into existence in 1987.
- The objective of TRIFED is:
- To uplift socio-economic conditions of the tribal poor by helping them develop and market their produce.
- To provide fair price to “Minor Forest Produce” (MFP) collected by tribes and enhance their level of income
- To ensure sustainable harvesting of the forest produce
- To help in increasing the bargaining power of the tribes to fetch good price of the MFP
- To build capacity of the tribal to make value addition to their products
- TRIFED, under the brand name TRIBES INDIA, markets the handcrafted products directly procured from the tribals in India through its 73 brick and mortar outlets all over India.
- Main activities of TRIFED include:
- Retail Marketing Development
- Minor Forest Produce Marketing Development
- Skill up-gradation & Capacity Building of ST Artisans and MFP Gatherers
- R&D Development/Intellectual Proprietary Rights (IPR) Activity
View all comments