- The Ministry of Health & Family Welfare launched “Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan” (PMSMA) with an aim to provide fixed-day, free of cost, assured, comprehensive and quality antenatal care universally to all pregnant women in their 2nd / 3rd trimesters of pregnancy at designated government health facilities.
- Launched in 2016, PMSMA envisages to improve the quality and coverage of Antenatal Care (ANC) including diagnostics and counselling services as part of the Reproductive Maternal Neonatal Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCH+A) Strategy.
- One of the key focus areas of PMSMA is to generate demand through Information Education & Communication (IEC), Inter-personal Communication (IPC) and Behavior Change Communication (BCC) activities.
- Extensive use of audio-visual and print media in raising mass awareness is an integral part of IEC/BCC campaign.
- Auxiliary Nurse Midwife (ANM), Accredited Social Health Activist (ASHA) and Anganwadi Worker (AWW) play a pivotal role in mobilization of the community and potential beneficiaries in both rural and urban areas for availing of services during the PMSMA.
Why in News?
- The Government of India held a review meeting for the implementation of the PMSMA.