Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana
- The central government launched the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana (PMMSY) in 2020 to bring about the Blue Revolution through sustainable and responsible development of the fisheries sector in India.
- It is implemented by the Department of Fisheries, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying.
- It is a flagship scheme for integrated, sustainable, inclusive development of marine and inland fisheries sector in the country with an estimated investment of Rs. 20,000 crores for its implementation during a period of 5 years from FY 2020-21 to FY 2024-25 in all States/Union Territories.
- It aims at enhancing fish production by an additional 70 lakh tonne by 2024-25, increasing fisheries export earnings to Rs.1,00,000 crore by 2024-25, doubling of incomes of fishers and fish farmers, reducing post-harvest losses from 20-25% to about 10%.
- It is designed to address critical gaps in fish production and productivity, quality, technology, post-harvest infrastructure and management, modernization and strengthening of value chain, traceability and establishing a robust fisheries management framework and fishers’ welfare.
- It primarily focuses on adopting ‘Cluster or Area based approaches’ and creation of Fisheries clusters through backward and forward linkages.
Why in News?
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Matsya Sampada Yojana, a total number of 8,12,195 have been provided livelihood and nutritional support at a total cost of Rs. 361 crore.
View all comments