- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) is a Maternity Benefit Programme that is implemented in all the districts of the country.
- The scheme is implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development. It is a centrally sponsored scheme launched in 2016.
- It is a direct benefit transfer (DBT) scheme under which cash benefits are provided to pregnant women in their bank account directly to meet enhanced nutritional needs and partially compensate for wage loss.
- Under the scheme, Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) receive a cash benefit of Rs. 5,000 in three installments on fulfilling the respective conditionality, viz. early registration of pregnancy, ante-natal check-up and registration of the birth of the child and completion of the first cycle of vaccination for the first living child of the family.
- The scheme covers pregnant and lactating mothers for the birth of the first child.
- All Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers except those who are in regular employment with the Central Government or State Government or Public Sector Undertaking or those who are in receipt of similar benefits are eligible to claim benefits under PMMVY.
Why in News?
- Over 50,000 women benefitted between 2017 and March 2023 under Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana in Maharashtra’s Osmanabad district, and 105% of the target was achieved.