Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana
About the scheme
- The vision of Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) is to ensure access to some means of protective irrigation to all agricultural farms in the country, to produce ‘per drop more crop’, thus bringing much desired rural prosperity.
- Launched in 2015 with the motto of “Har Khet Ko Paani” (“water to every farm”) by the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, PMKSY has been conceived amalgamating ongoing schemes viz. Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP), Integrated Watershed Management Programme (IWMP) and the On Farm Water Management (OFWM).
Broad objectives of PMKSY
- Achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level (preparation of district level and, if required, sub district level water use plans).
- Enhance the physical access of water on the farm and expand cultivable area under assured irrigation.
- Integration of water source, distribution and its efficient use, to make best use of water through appropriate technologies and practices.
- Improve on-farm water use efficiency to reduce wastage and increase availability both in duration and extent.
- Enhance the adoption of precision-irrigation and other water saving technologies (More crop per drop).
- Enhance recharge of aquifers and introduce sustainable water conservation practices.
Four components of PMKSY:
- Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP),
- To focus on faster completion of ongoing Major and Medium Irrigation including National Projects.
- Har Khet Ko Pani (“water to every farm”),
- Activities including Creation of new water sources through Minor Irrigation and Creation and rejuvenation of traditional water storage systems like Jal Mandir (Gujarat); Khatri, Kuhl (H.P.); Zabo (Nagaland); Eri, Ooranis (T.N.); Dongs (Assam); Katas, Bandhas (Odisha and M.P.) etc. at feasible locations.
- Per Drop More Crop
- Promoting efficient water conveyance and precision water application devices like drips, sprinklers, pivots, rain-guns in the farm.
- Watershed Development
- Effective rainfall management like field bunding, contour bunding/trenching, staggered trenching, land levelling, mulching etc. and Creating Water harvesting structures such as check dams, nala bund, farm ponds, tanks etc.
- PMKSY adopts a ‘decentralized State level planning and projectized execution’ structure that allows States to draw up their own irrigation development plans based on District Irrigation Plan (DIP) and State Irrigation Plan (SIP).
- PMKSY acts as a convergence platform for all water sector activities including drinking water & sanitation, MGNREGA, application of science & technology etc. through comprehensive plans.
Why in News?
- For the period 2021-26, PMKSY has been approved with the target for creation of 4.5 lakh hectare of irrigation potential through surface minor irrigation and repair, renovation and restoration of water bodies.
View all comments