- The Ministry of Food Processing Industries has been implementing the Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAMPADA Yojana (PMKSY) since 2017.
- SAMPADA (Scheme for Agro-Marine Processing and Development of Agro-Processing Clusters) is a comprehensive package which aims to create modern infrastructure with efficient supply chain management from farm gate to retail outlet.
- It aims to provide a big boost to the growth of the food processing sector in the country and also help in providing better returns to farmers, reducing wastage of agricultural produce, increasing the processing level and enhancing the export of the processed foods.
- Under PMKSY the following schemes are to be implemented.
- Mega Food Parks
- Integrated Cold Chain, Value Addition and Preservation Infrastructure
- Creation/Expansion of Food Processing/Preservation Capacities
- Infrastructure for Agro Processing Clusters
- Scheme for Creation of Backward and Forward Linkages
- Food Safety & Quality Assurance Infrastructure
- Human Resources and Institutions
Objectives of PMKSY
- Creation of modern infrastructure for food processing mega food parks/ clusters and individual units
- To create effective backward and forward linkages – linking farmers, processors and markets
- To create robust supply chain infrastructure for perishables
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Food Processing Industries has released information about projects sanctioned under the PMKSY.