Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
- The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY), was launched in 2000 as centrally sponsored scheme to provide connectivity to unconnected habitations of designated population size (500+ in plain areas and 250+ in North-East, hill, tribal and desert areas as per Census, 2001) as part of a poverty reduction strategy.
- The Ministry of Rural Development along with state governments is responsible for the implementation of PMGSY.
- Phase III of PMGSY was approved by the Union Cabinet in 2019. It involves the consolidation of Through Routes and Major Rural Links connecting habitations to Gramin Agricultural Markets (GrAMs), Higher Secondary Schools and Hospitals.
Guiding Principles of PMGSY
- The spirit and the objective of the scheme is to provide good all-weather road connectivity to unconnected Habitations. A habitation which was earlier provided all-weather connectivity would not be eligible even if the present condition of the road is bad.
- The unit for this Programme is a Habitation and not a Revenue village or a Panchayat. A Habitation is a cluster of population, living in an area, the location of which does not change over time.
- The PMGSY shall cover only the rural areas. Urban roads are excluded from the purview of this Programme.
- The Union Government bears 90% of the project cost in respect of projects sanctioned under the scheme in North-Eastern and Himalayan States, whereas for other states the Union Government bears 60% of the cost.
Initiatives related to PMGSY
- Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism affected Areas (RCPLWEA): It was launched in 2016 as a separate vertical under PMGSY to provide all-weather road connectivity with necessary culverts and cross-drainage structures in 44 districts (35 are worst LWE affected districts and 09 are adjoining districts), which are critical from security and communication point of view.
- Meri Sadak mobile app: It was launched to enable citizens to register complaints regarding the quality and pace of construction of PMGSY roads.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Rural Development conducted a nationwide review of the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana.
View all comments