Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
About the scheme
- The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY), was launched in 2000 as 100 % centrally sponsored scheme to provide connectivity to unconnected habitations of designated population size (500+ in plain areas and 250+ in North-East, hill, tribal and desert areas as per Census, 2001).
- The Ministry of Rural Development along with state governments is responsible for the implementation of PMGSY.
- In 2015, under the recommendation of the 14th finance commission, the funding pattern was changed.
- Current funding pattern: In ratio of 60:40 between Centre and State for all States except for 8 North Eastern and 3 Himalayan States (Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jammu & Kashmir) for which it is 90:10.
Why in News?
- In a significant achievement, 12 districts of Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir have figured in the list of Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) top performing 30 districts of the country.
- Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism affected Areas: Government launched Road Connectivity Project for Left Wing Extremism affected Areas in the year 2016 as a separate vertical under PMGSY to provide all-weather road connectivity with necessary culverts and cross-drainage structures in 44 districts (35 are worst LWE affected districts and 09 are adjoining districts), which are critical from security and communication point of view.
- Meri Sadak mobile app: It was launched to enable citizens to register complaints regarding the quality and pace of construction of PMGSY roads.
View all comments