Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushdhi Pariyojana
- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses.
Salient features of the Jan Aushadhi Scheme
- Making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly for the poor and disadvantaged, through specialized outlets called the Jan Aushadhi Stores (JAS).
- Provision of built up space for JAS in district hospitals by the State Governments.
Who can open a Jan Aushadhi Kendras ?
- Meeting the operational expenditure from the trade margins admissible for the medicines.
- Supply of the generic medicines in the first instance by the Central Pharma PSUs so as to ensure both quality and timely supply.
- To ensure prescription of generic medicines by the Government doctors with proactive support from the State Governments.
- Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) is the implementing agency for PMBJP.
Benefits of the Jan Aushadhi Scheme Campaign
The Jan Aushadhi initiative makes available quality drugs at affordable prices through dedicated stores selling generic medicines which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs. Some comparative advantages are:
- Promote greater awareness about cost-effective drugs and their prescription.
- Make available unbranded quality generic medicines at affordable prices through public-private partnership.
- Encourage doctors, more specifically in government hospitals, to prescribe generic medicines.
- Enable substantial savings in health care, more particularly in the case of poor patients, and those suffering from chronic ailments, requiring long periods of drug use.
Why in News?
Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers held a comprehensive review meeting of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) in New Delhi.
View all comments