- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses.
- PMBJP stores have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
- Pharmaceuticals & Medical Devices Bureau of India (PMBI) is the implementing agency of PMBJP.
Objectives of PMBJP
- Making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, through exclusive outlets “Jan Aushadhi Kendras”, to reduce out of pocket expenses in healthcare.
- Create awareness among the public regarding generic medicines.
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practitioners.
- Create awareness through education and awareness programs that high price need not be synonymous with high quality.
Who can open a Jan Aushadhi Kendras?
- State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / Charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacists/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for new Jan Aushadhi stores.
- The applicants shall have to employ one B Pharma / D Pharma degree holder as Pharmacist in their proposed store.
- They can be set up at any suitable place within Government hospital or Private hospital premises or anywhere outside the premises.
Why in News?
- The Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Bureau of India has conducted an awareness programme for the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana.