- The Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana–Gramin (PMAY-G) was launched in 2016 to address the housing gaps existing in the rural areas. It aims to provide a pucca house with basic amenities to all rural families who are homeless or living in kutcha or dilapidated houses by the end of March 2022.
- It was initiated with the objective of achieving “Housing for All” by 2022.
- The houses built under the PMAYG scheme are low-cost and disaster-resilient.
- The minimum size of the houses built under the PMAYG scheme is 25 sq. mt.
- The Central and State governments share the cost of assistance at a ratio of 90:10 in the hilly areas and 60:40 in the plain areas.
- Identification of beneficiaries as per the housing deprivation parameters and exclusion criteria prescribed under Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) 2011 after due verification by Gram Sabha.
- Under PMAY-G, each beneficiary is given 100% grant of Rs.1.20 lakh (in plain areas) and Rs.1.30 lakh (in Hilly States/North Eastern States/Difficult areas/UT of J&K and Ladakh/Left Wing Extremism (LWE) districts).
- The beneficiaries of PMAY-G, in addition to the unit assistance, are also provided support of unskilled labour wages under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) and assistance of Rs. 12,000 for construction of toilets through Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin (SBM-G), MGNREGS or any other dedicated source of funding.
- The scheme has provisions for convergence with other schemes of Government of India and State/UTs for providing LPG connection under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Scheme, electricity connection, access to safe drinking water under Jal Jeevan Mission, etc.
Why in News?
- The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin beyond March 2021 till March 2024 as per the existing norms to complete remaining houses within a cumulative target of 2.95 crore houses.
- The continuation of the scheme till March, 2024 ensures that the remaining 155.75 lakh households within the overall target of 2.95 crore houses under PMAY-G would be provided assistance for construction of Pucca houses with basic amenities to achieve the objective of “Housing for All” in rural areas.