- Pradhan Mantri Anusuchit Jaati Abhuyday Yojana (PM- AJAY) is a merged scheme of 03 Centrally Sponsored Scheme namely Pradhan Mantri Adarsh Gram Yojana (PMAGY), Special Central Assistance to Scheduled Castes Sub Plan ( SCA to SCSP) and Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojana (BJRCY).
- It has been implemented since 2021-22 with an aim to reduce poverty of the SC communities by generation of additional employment opportunities through Skill development, income generating schemes and other initiatives and to improve socio-economic developmental indicators by ensuring adequate infrastructure and requisite services in the SC dominated villages.
- The Scheme has three components:
- 1. Development of SC dominated villages into an “Adarsh Gram”.
- 2. ‘Grants-in-aid’ for District/State-level Projects for socio-economic betterment of SCs
- 3. Construction of Hostels in higher educational institutions
Why in News?
- Under PM-AJAY, a total of 1260 villages have been declared as Adarsh Gram during the current FY 2023-24. A total of 09 new hostels have been sanctioned under Hostel component of the scheme. Perspective plan for 07 States have been approved under Grant-in-aid component during the current financial year.