About the scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% funding from Government of India.
- Aim : To augment the income of the farmers by providing income support to all landholding farmers’ families across the country.
- The Scheme initially provided income support to all Small and Marginal Farmers’ families across the country, holding cultivable land upto 2 hectares. Its ambit was later expanded w.e.f. 01.06.2019 to cover all farmer families in the country irrespective of the size of their land holdings.
- Under the Scheme an amount of Rs.6000/- per year is transferred in three 4-monthly installments of Rs.2000/- directly into the bank accounts of the farmers, subject to certain exclusion criteria relating to higher income status.
- Eligibility : All landholder farmer’s families in the country are eligible for the PM-Kisan Scheme subject to the prevalent exclusion criteria. Farmers who do not own any land are not eligible for this scheme.
- Excluded from the scheme
- Institutional land holders,
- Farmer families holding constitutional posts,
- Serving or retired officers and employees of state/central government as well as PSUs and government autonomous bodies.
- Professionals like doctors, engineers and lawyers as well as retired pensioners with a monthly pension of over Rs 10,000 and those who paid income tax in the last assessment year.
- Identification of beneficiaries : The responsibility of identifying the eligible beneficiary farmers and uploading their data on PM-KISAN portal lies entirely with the state governments.
Why in News?
- The Central government has released the next instalment of financial benefit under PM-KISAN.
- It included transfer of more than Rs. 18 thousand crore to more than 9 crores beneficiary farmer families.