About the scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan SAmman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) is a Central Sector Scheme with 100% funding from Government of India.
- Aim : To augment the income of the farmers by providing income support to all landholding farmers’ families across the country.
- Launched in 2019, the Scheme initially provided income support to all Small and Marginal Farmers’ families across the country, holding cultivable land upto 2 hectares. Its ambit was later expanded to cover all farmer families in the country irrespective of the size of their land holdings.
- Under the Scheme an amount of Rs. 6000/- per year is transferred in three 4-monthly installments of Rs. 2000/- directly into the bank accounts of the farmers, subject to certain exclusion criteria relating to higher income status.
- Excluded from the scheme
- Institutional land holders,
- Farmer families holding constitutional posts,
- Serving or retired officers and employees of state/central government as well as PSUs and government autonomous bodies.
- Professionals like doctors, engineers and lawyers as well as retired pensioners with a monthly pension of over Rs 10,000 and those who paid income tax in the last assessment year.
- Identification of beneficiaries: The responsibility of identifying the eligible beneficiary farmers and uploading their data on the PM-KISAN portal lies entirely with the state governments.
Why in News?
- Since its inception more than Rs. 2.42 lakh crore has been disbursed to over 11 crore farmers under PM-KISAN, providing them socio-economic security.