Why in News:
- DRDO has successfully tested Pinaka Extended Range (ER) multi-barrel rocket launcher system, Area Denial Munitions (ADM) and indigenously developed fuses have been carried out at various test ranges.
- The Pinaka-ER is the upgraded version of the earlier version which has been in service with the Army for the last decade.
- The new Pinaka ER gives it a range of around 70 km, over the 45 km existing range of the missile
- Pinaka is a multi barrel rocket launch (MBRL) system used by the Indian Army.
- It was developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- It is an all-weather, indirect fire, free flight artillery rocket system.
- It provides a unique capability to accurately deliver devastatingly lethal and responsive fire against a variety of area targets such as exposed enemy troops, armored and soft skin vehicles, communication centers, air terminal complexes, fuel and ammunition dumps.
- The Pinaka weapon system consists of Rocket, Multi Barrel Rocket launcher, Battery Command Post, Loader cum Replenishment Vehicle, Replenishment Vehicle and Digicora MET Radar