- The National Institution for Transforming India, also called NITI Aayog, was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015.
- NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs.
- While designing strategic and long term policies and programmes for the Government of India, NITI Aayog also provides relevant technical advice to the Centre and States.
- To foster cooperative federalism through structured support initiatives and mechanisms with the States on a continuous basis, recognizing that strong States make a strong nation.
- To develop mechanisms to formulate credible plans at the village level and aggregate these progressively at higher levels of government.
- To ensure, in areas that are specifically referred to it, that the interests of national security are incorporated in economic strategy and policy.
- To pay special attention to the sections of our society that may be at risk of not benefitting adequately from economic progress.
- To provide advice and encourage partnerships between key stakeholders and national and international like-minded Think Tanks, as well as educational and policy research institutions.
- To create a knowledge, innovation and entrepreneurial support system through a collaborative community of national and international experts, practitioners and other partners.
Governing Council of NITI Aayog
- The Governing Council of NITI Aayog is chaired by the Prime Minister and comprises Chief Ministers of all the States and Union Territories with legislatures; Lt Governors of other Union Territories; Ex-Officio Members; Vice Chairperson; Full-time Members; Special Invitees and Chief Executive Officer.
- It is the premier body tasked with evolving a shared vision of national priorities and strategies, with the active involvement of States, in shaping the development narrative.
- The Governing Council, which embodies the objectives of cooperative federalism, presents a platform to discuss inter-sectoral, inter-departmental and federal issues to accelerate the implementation of the national development agenda.
Important reports released by NITI Aayog
- Healthy States, Progressive India Report
- Composite Water Management Index
- SDG India Index
- North-Eastern Region District SDG Index
- Multidimensional Poverty Index
- Export Preparedness Index
Why in News?
- NITI Aayog and the United Nations has signed the Government of India-United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework 2023-2027.
- GoI-UNSDCF 2023-2027 represents the UN development system’s collective offer to the Government of India, in line with the national vision for development, for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, promoting gender equality, youth empowerment and human rights.
- The GoI-UNSDCF, through its agreed partnerships, outcomes and outputs will contribute towards achievement of national development priorities.