- The National Institution for Transforming India, also called NITI Aayog, was formed via a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015.
- NITI Aayog is the premier policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs.
- While designing strategic and long term policies and programmes for the Government of India, NITI Aayog also provides relevant technical advice to the Centre and States.
- To foster cooperative federalism through structured support initiatives and mechanisms with the States on a continuous basis, recognizing that strong States make a strong nation.
- To develop mechanisms to formulate credible plans at the village level and aggregate these progressively at higher levels of government.
- To ensure, in areas that are specifically referred to it, that the interests of national security are incorporated in economic strategy and policy.
- To pay special attention to the sections of our society that may be at risk of not benefitting adequately from economic progress.
- To provide advice and encourage partnerships between key stakeholders and national and international like-minded Think Tanks, as well as educational and policy research institutions.
- To create a knowledge, innovation and entrepreneurial support system through a collaborative community of national and international experts, practitioners and other partners.
Governing Council of NITI Aayog
- The Governing Council of NITI Aayog is chaired by the Prime Minister and comprises Chief Ministers of all the States and Union Territories with legislatures; Lt Governors of other Union Territories; Ex-Officio Members; Vice Chairperson; Full-time Members; Special Invitees and Chief Executive Officer.
- It is the premier body tasked with evolving a shared vision of national priorities and strategies, with the active involvement of States, in shaping the development narrative.
- The Governing Council, which embodies the objectives of cooperative federalism, presents a platform to discuss inter-sectoral, inter-departmental and federal issues to accelerate the implementation of the national development agenda.
Important reports released by NITI Aayog
- Healthy States, Progressive India Report
- Composite Water Management Index
- SDG India Index
- North-Eastern Region District SDG Index
- Multidimensional Poverty Index
- Export Preparedness Index
Why in News?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is set to chair the 7th Governing Council meeting of NITI Aayog.