New India Literacy Programme
About the Scheme
- The Government of India has approved a new scheme “New India Literacy Programme” for the period FYs 2022-2027 to cover all the aspects of Adult Education to align with National Education Policy 2020.
- The National Education Policy 2020 has recommendations for Adult Education and Lifelong Learning.
- It is estimated that currently around 18.12 crore adults are still non-literate in India.
- The programme has five objectives:
- Foundational Literacy and Numeracy,
- Critical Life Skills,
- Vocational Skills Development,
- Basic Education, and
- Continuing Education.
- The scheme will be implemented through volunteerism through online mode. All material and resources shall be provided digitally for easy access to registered volunteers through easily accessible digital modes, viz, TV, radio, cell phone-based free/open-source Apps/portals, etc.
- The scheme will cover non-literates of the age of 15 years and above in all state/UTs in the country.
Why in News?
- The Government has allocated a financial outlay of Rs.1037 crore for implementation of the New India Literacy Programme.
View all comments