National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship
About the Scheme
- The ‘National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme’ (NMMSS) is a Central Sector Scheme launched in 2008 to provide scholarships for meritorious students of classes IX to XII.
- Objective: To award scholarships to meritorious students of economically weaker sections to arrest their drop out at class VIII and encourage them to continue their study and complete secondary stage.
- Coverage: The scheme envisages award of one lakh fresh scholarships every year to selected students of class IX and their continuation/renewal in classes X to XII for study in a State Government, Government-aided and Local body schools under the scheme.
- Scholarship Amount: An amount of Rs. 12000/- per student per annum.
Why in News?
- The government has approved the continuation of Central Sector National Means-cum-Merit Scholarship Scheme over the 15th Finance Commission cycle for a period of five years i.e. from 2021-22 to 2025-26 with financial outlay of Rs. 1827 crore.
View all comments