- The NDRF was constituted under Section 44 of the Disaster Management Act, 2005 for a specialized response to natural and man-made disasters.
- At present, NDRF comprise of 12 battalions, with each battalion consisting 1149 personnel.
- All the 12 battalions are located in Assam, West Bengal, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Bihar, Andhra Pradesh and Arunachal Pradesh.
- These battalions have been trained and equipped to response to all man-made and natural disasters.
Why in News?
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has sent several teams to Rajasthan, Karnataka, and Maharashtra to respond to natural disasters.