- The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) is a quasi-judicial commission in India which was set up in 1988 under the Consumer Protection Act of 1986.
- Its head office is in New Delhi.
- The Commission is headed by a sitting or a retired Judge of the Supreme Court of India or a sitting or a retired Chief Justice of an High Court.
- The Consumer Protection Act posits that the National Commission shall have jurisdiction:-
- to entertain a complaint valued more than two crore and also have Appellate and Revisional jurisdiction from the orders of State Commissions or the District fora as the case may be.
- Any person aggrieved by an order of NCDRC, may prefer an Appeal against such order to the Supreme Court of India within a period of 30 days.
Why in News?
- The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) has dismissed an appeal filed by Cloudtail India Pvt. Ltd. challenging the Order passed by the Central Consumer Protection Authority (CCPA) with regard to violation of the rights of consumers by the company for sale of domestic pressure cookers to consumers in violation of mandatory BIS standards.
About BIS Certification
- BIS Product Certification Scheme is one of the largest in the world, with over 26500 licensees covering more than 900 products.
- BIS Certification in India is provided by the Bureau of Indian Standards.
- BIS Certification allows the licensees to use the popular ISI mark on their product, which is synonymous with quality products.
- BIS also operates Foreign Manufacturers Certification Scheme under which overseas manufacturers can be granted a licence to use the BIS Standard Mark.
Products that Require Mandatory BIS Certificate
- BIS certification scheme is basically voluntary in nature. However, for a number of products compliance to Indian Standards is made compulsory by the Central Government under various considerations viz. public interest, protection of human, animal or plant health, safety of environment, prevention of unfair trade practices and national security.
- The following are products that require mandatory BIS License or Certification.
- Household electrical goods
- Food and related products
- Diesel engines
- Oil pressure stoves
- Automobile accessories
- Cylinders, Valves and Regulators
- Medical Equipment
- Steel Products
- Electrical Transformers.