- The National Action Plan on Climate Change (NAPCC) was formally launched in 2008.
- The NAPCC identifies measures that promote development objectives while also yielding co-benefits for addressing climate change effectively.
- There are eight “National Missions” which form the core of the National action plan. They focus on promoting understanding of climate change, adaptation and mitigation, energy efficiency and natural resource conservation.
Missions under the NAPCC
- National Solar Mission
- This initiative was started to promote the use of solar power.
- The Mission has set the ambitious target of deploying 100 GW of grid connected solar power by 2022. It is under the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency
- The initiative was undertaken to promote the market for energy efficiency by fostering innovative policies and effective market instruments.
- Implementation agencies of the Mission- BEE – Bureau of Energy Efficiency & EESL – Energy Efficiency Services Limited.
- National Mission on Sustainable Habitat
- It aims to make cities sustainable through improvements in energy efficiency in buildings, management of solid waste and shift to public transport.
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs backs the mission.
- National Mission for Sustaining the Himalayan Ecosystem
- Aimed at protecting the Himalayas, it has mapped institutes and civil society organisations working on the Himalayan ecology for ease of coordination between governmental and non-governmental agencies.
- It is the only area-specific mission under the NAPCC.
- National Mission for a Green India
- It aims at protecting, restoring and enhancing India’s diminishing forest cover and responding to climate change by a combination of adaptation and mitigation measures.
- It is driven by the Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change (MoEFCC).
- National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture
- It has been formulated for enhancing agricultural productivity especially in rain-fed areas focusing on integrated farming, water use efficiency, soil health management and synergizing resource conservation.
- National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change
- The mission seeks to build a dynamic and vibrant knowledge system that informs and supports national policy and action for responding effectively to climate change challenges, while not compromising on the nation’s growth goals.
- The Ministry of Science and Technology drives the mission.
- National Water Mission
- The main objective of NWM is conservation of water, minimizing wastage and ensuring its more equitable distribution both across and within states through integrated water resources development and management.
- At present, it is driven by the Ministry of Jal Shakti.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has provided details of fund released and fund utilisation under the National Mission for a Green India in the Parliament.