- UNICEF is the United Nations Children’s Fund, working in the world’s toughest places to reach the most disadvantaged children and adolescents – and to protect the rights of every child, everywhere.
- One of the world’s largest providers of vaccines, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, safe water and sanitation, quality education and skill building, HIV prevention and treatment for mothers and babies, and the protection of children and adolescents from violence and exploitation.
- UNICEF works in more than 190 countries and territories and in the world’s toughest places to reach the children and young people in greatest need.
Why in News?
- UNICEF recently said that more than 1,300 schools have been totally destroyed in government-held areas of Ukraine since Russia’s 2022 invasion and others have been badly damaged.
- Persistent attacks mean that only about a third of school-age children there are attending classes fully in person and many are forgetting what they have already learned.