What’s in News:
- The Defence Minister unveiled the second edition of the ‘Mehar Baba’ swarm drone competition by the Indian Air Force (IAF) for Indian start-ups to develop a swarm drone based system to detect foreign objects on aircraft operating surfaces.
- The competition was conceptualised to evolve proprietary design, development, manufacturing and production of low cost-high impact solutions for swarm drone technology. It is open to only indigenous talent and indigenous start-ups.
- The system will be able to carry a range of payloads and sensors, have image correction ability, provide alerts and provide accurate location and discernable image of foreign objects.
Uses of Swarm Drones
- Swarm drones work together in algorithms—swarming is achieved by developing the capability of each drone to not strike another drone while in formation.
- Swarm drone systems should be able to scan and detect sub-centimetre size foreign objects on aircraft operating surfaces.
- The system will be able to operate in a GPS denied environment, and operate day and night and in reduced visibility as well as light windy conditions.
- Utilisation of varied domains, including response to disaster relief operation
Read about latest Drone Regulations-
Read about Drones-