What’s in the news?
- Towards the commitment of environmental sustainability, Coal/Lignite PSUs under the Ministry of Coal have embarked on a concerted mission to achieve extensive afforestation goals.
- Coal/Lignite PSUs are making persistent efforts to minimise the footprints of coal mining through sustained reclamation and afforestation of areas in and around its operating mines.
- The reclamation activities are being carried out as per well-designed and approved mine closure plans, which carry detailed provisions regarding progressive as well as final mine closure activities.
- This ambitious initiative not only contributes to enhancing green cover and conserving biodiversity but also constitutes a significant stride towards climate change mitigation through creation of carbon sinks.
- Carbon sinks absorbs and store carbon dioxide, a major greenhouse gas responsible for climate change. Such plantation efforts will help regulate atmospheric CO2 levels, mitigating global warming and its adverse effects.
- These sinks play a pivotal role in the fight against climate change by contributing to a more balanced and sustainable environment.