Light Utility Helicopter
Why in News:
- The Defence Ministry approved the procurement of arms and military equipment worth Rs 7,965-crore, including 12 light utility helicopters from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.
About Light Utility Helicopter
- LUH is designed and developed as a replacement for Cheetah & Chetak helicopters which are being operated by Indian Armed forces.
- LUH is a new generation helicopter in the 3-Ton class incorporating the state of the art technology features like Glass cockpit with Multi-Function Displays (MFD) and powered by single Turbo Shaft engine with sufficient power margin to cater to demanding high altitude missions.
- Besides clearing the proposal to buy 12 helicopters, the Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the procurement of Lynx U2 naval gunfire control system from Bharat Electronics Limited that will enhance the tracking and engagement capabilities of naval warships.
- The DAC also approved “mid-life upgradation of Dornier aircraft” by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited to increase the naval capacity of maritime reconnaissance and coastal surveillance.
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) is constituted under the Ministry of Defence (MoD) for overall guidance of the defence procurement planning process.
- It includes Defence Minister as Chairman and Minister of State for Defence (when appointed), Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Chiefs of triservices, Defence Secretary, Secretary Dept. of Defence Production and Supplies, Secretary Defence Research & Development, Secretary Defence Finance, Vice Chief of Defence Staff (when appointed) and Secretary (Acquisition) as members.
- The DAC is the highest decision-making body in the defence ministry for deciding on new policies and capital acquisitions for the three services and the Indian Coast Guard.
- The objective of the DAC is to ensure expeditious procurement of the approved requirements of the Armed Forces in terms of capabilities sought, and time frame prescribed, by optimally utilizing the allocated budgetary resources.
I’m often to blogging and i really appreciate your content. The article has actually peaks my interest. I’m going to bookmark your web site and maintain checking for brand spanking new information.