Features of LCA Mk2
- The aircraft features enhanced range and endurance including an onboard oxygen generation system, which is being integrated for the first time.
- Heavy weapons of the class of Scalp, Crystal Maze and Spice-2000 will also be integrated on the Mk2.
- The LCA-Mk2 will be a heavier and much more capable aircraft than the current LCA variants.
- The Mk2 is 1,350 mm longer featuring canards and can carry a payload of 6,500 kg compared to 3,500 kg the LCA can carry.
- The Mk2 will be powered by a more powerful GE-414 engine.
About LCA- Tejas
- Tejas is India’s first light fighter aircraft designed and manufactured in the country. It’s a single-seat, single-engine supersonic multirole light fighter aircraft.
- Its configuration is largely geared on mobility and agility.
- It was designed to replace the Mig 21 fighter jets, which were getting old.
- The Aeronautical Development Agency, which is part of the Department of Defence Research and Development, designed it. Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, a government-owned company, produced the plane .
- To make handling easier, the plane has a computerised fly-by-wire flight control system. This allows the pilot to focus on other tasks (especially mission-critical tasks) without having to worry about the plane deviating from its flying route.
- It can travel at a top speed of Mach 1.8
- Mach is used as a unit of measurement in stating the speed of a moving object in relation to the speed of sound.
- The aircraft has a range of 3,000 kilometres.
- In its class, it is the lightest, smallest, multi-role supersonic fighter aircraft.
- Designed to carry a variety of precision-guided air-to-air and air-to-surface weaponry.
- Capability for air-to-air refuelling.
Why in News:
- DRDO targets 2027 to complete development and flight testing of LCA-Mk2
[…] 2030 Roadmap commits to partnership on India’s indigenous combat air programmes, including Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)-MkII and Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft […]