- The 17th century saw several skirmishes between the Mughals, keen to expand their empire into the east, and the Ahoms, whose kingdom spanned the Brahmaputra Valley in Assam and endured for about 600 years.
- Born on 24 November 1622, Lachit Borphukan rose to become the Commander in Chief of Ahom Army.
- He was commander of the Ahom armies during the Battle of Saraighat that led to victory of the Ahom Kingdom over the Mughals in 1671.
- The battle, which took place during the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb’s reign, was seen as a decisive Ahom victory.
Why in News?
- Prime Minister has paid tributes to Lachit Borphukan on Lachit Diwas.