What is it?
- Khadi means handspun and handwoven cloth. In 1918 Mahatma Gandhi started his movement for Khadi as relief programme for the poor masses living in India’s villages.
- Spinning and weaving was elevated to an ideology for self-reliance and self government. Every village shall plant and harvest its own raw-materials for yarn, every woman and man shall engage in spinning and every village shall weave whatever is needed for its own use.
- It was for economic, cultural and social reasons and not merely political reasons that Gandhi established the Khadi Movement. In 1934-35 he expanded the idea from helping the poor individual to self-reliance of whole villages.
- In 1942-43 he had sessions with workers groups and village organizers to re-organize the whole programme on a bigger country-wide scale.
Khadi & Village Industries Commission (KVIC):
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is a statutory body under the Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act of 1956.
- It functions under the Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises
- The broad objectives that the KVIC has set before them are.
- The social objective of providing employment.
- The economic objective of producing saleable articles.
- The wider objective of creating self-reliance amongst the poor and building up of a strong rural community spirit
- Mission Solar Charkha is a Ministry of Micro Small & Medium Enterprises (MSME) initiative(implemented by KVIC). The objectives are:
- To ensure inclusive growth by generation of employment, especially for women and youth, and sustainable development through solar charkha clusters in rural areas.
- To boost the rural economy and help in arresting migration from rural to urban areas.
- To leverage low-cost, innovative technologies and processes for sustenance
- KVIC e-portal for Khadi organisations aids artisans in marketing and selling their KVI products all across India.
- Under the Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries(SFURTI), KVIC is responsible for creating Khadi manufacturing clusters
Why in News:
- The Prime Minister emphasised on using Khadi products in day-to-day life to help the local industry and artisans whose livelihood depends on it.
View all comments