- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is a statutory body created by an Act of Parliament.
- It came into existence in 1957. The KVIC took over the work of erstwhile All India Khadi and Village Industries Board.
- The broad objectives that the KVIC has set before it are:
- The social objective of providing employment.
- The economic objective of producing saleable articles.
- The wider objective of creating self-reliance amongst the poor and building up a strong rural community spirit.
Why in News?
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) has signed several MOUs to promote Khadi Products.