Why in News:
- Prime Minister is set to inaugurate the Kashi Vishwanath Temple Corridor project in Varanasi.
About the temple
- Kashi Vishwanath Temple is one of the most famous temples in Varanasi, also known as the Golden temple dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- It was constructed in the year 1780 by the Maratha monarch, Maharani Ahilyabai Holkar of Indore.
- The temple stands on the western bank of the holy river Ganga, and is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas, the holiest of Shiva temples.
- The main deity is known by the name Vishvanatha or Vishveshvara meaning Ruler of The Universe.
Kashi Vishwanath Temple Corridor
- The project entails a complete overhaul of the sacred shrine and its surroundings. This is the first major renovation since the Maratha queen Ahilyabai Holkar of Indore rebuilt the temple and surrounding region in 1780 AD.
- The projected 50-foot corridor will run directly from Manikarnika and Lalita Ghat on the Ganges to the Kashi Vishwanath Jyotirlinga Temple.
- Pilgrims and travellers will view a freshly erected museum exhibiting Varanasi’s ancient history and culture along the corridor.