Why in News:
- The festivities at Kalpathi Sree Visalakshi Sametha Sree Viswanathaswami Temple have resumed post the pandemic.
About the festival
- Kalpathi Ratholsavam (Kalpathi Chariot Festival) is an annual Hindu Temple festival in the Kalpathi village of Palakkad district in Kerala.
- The temple dates back to 1425, where the deities are Lord Siva (Lord Viswanatha) and his consort Visalakshi.
- The ancient temple nestles by the banks of the Kalpathi river which is also known as the Nila river.
- Kalpathy, the Brahmin hamlet of Palakkad, is noted for its unique architecture, music and Rathotsavam (chariot festival), is the first heritage village in Kerala.
- Pragpur of Himachal Pradesh is the first heritage village in India. A heritage village is declared by the State government.
- The Agraharam, the traditional residential hamlet which is believed to have been established by migrant Brahmins from Tanjore, will be well preserved under the initiative.
View all comments