- Kalbelia dance is a traditional folk dance and an integral part of the cultural heritage of the Kalbelia tribe, a nomadic community residing in Rajasthan.
- It is recognized as an intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO.
- The Kalbelia dance is characterized by its rhythmic and lively movements, resembling the serpentine motions of a snake.
- The dance is accompanied by traditional Kalbelia music, primarily performed with traditional instruments like the pungi (a wind instrument), dufli (a tambourine), and khuralio (a percussion instrument).
- It reflects the harmony between humans and nature, incorporating elements of folklore, legends, and rituals.
Why in news ?
- Kalbelia dance was recently showcased in the National Folk and Tribal Art Festival.
UNESCO List of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
- According to UNESCO, cultural heritage does not end at monuments and collections of objects, but also includes traditions or living expressions inherited from our ancestors and passed on to our descendants, such as oral traditions, performing arts, social practices, rituals, festive events, knowledge and practices concerning nature and the universe or the knowledge and skills to produce traditional crafts.
- UNESCO established its Lists of Intangible Cultural Heritage with the aim of ensuring better protection of such important intangible cultural heritages worldwide and the awareness of their significance.
- The list was established in 2008 when the 2003 Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage took effect.
Intangible Cultural Heritage elements from India
- The following 14 traditional-cultural elements of India have been added into this list:
- Tradition of Vedic chanting
- Ramlila, the traditional performance of the Ramayana
- Kutiyattam, Sanskrit theatre
- Ramman, religious festival and ritual theatre of the Garhwal Himalayas
- Mudiyettu, ritual theatre and dance drama of Kerala
- Kalbelia folk songs and dances of Rajasthan
- Chhau dance of Eastern India
- Buddhist chanting of Ladakh
- Sankirtana, ritual singing, drumming and dancing of Manipur
- Traditional brass and copper craft of utensil making among the Thatheras of Jandiala Guru, Punjab
- Kumbh Mela
- Durga Puja in Kolkata.