Jal Jeevan Mission
About Jal Jeevan Mission
- Launched in 2019, the chief objective of the Mission is to provide Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) to every rural household by 2024 and thereby ensuring potable water supply in adequate quantity i.e. @ 55 lpcd (Litres per capita per day) of prescribed quality on a long-term and regular basis.
- This Mission is under the Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
- It focuses on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at the local level.
- The programme also implements source sustainability measures as mandatory elements, such as recharge and reuse through greywater management, water conservation and rainwater harvesting.
- The Jal Jeevan Mission is based on a community approach to water and will include extensive Information, Education and Communication (IEC) as a key component of the mission.
- JJM looks to create a Jan Andolan (People’s Movement) for water, thereby making it everyone’s priority.
- The fund sharing pattern is 90:10 for Himalayan and North-Eastern States; 50:50 for other States and 100% for UTs.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Jal Shakti conducted several awareness programmes about the Jal Jeevan Mission.
View all comments