International Air Connectivity Scheme
What’s in the news?
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation has launched the International Air Connectivity Scheme (IACS) scheme (International Ude Desh ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN) with an objective to enhance air connectivity from certain States of the country with selected international destinations to promote socio-economic growth.
- This scheme is supported by the State Governments.
- The State Government of Assam, Manipur and Tripura have identified routes connecting Guwahati, Imphal and Agartala with selected international destinations viz. Bangkok, Dhaka, Kathmandu, Yangon, Hanoi, Mandalay, Kunming & Chittagong.
- Development and up-gradation of airports to international standards is a continuous process and is undertaken by concerned airport operators from time to time depending upon commercial viability, traffic demand, availability of land etc.
- As on date, there are two international airports in the North East Region at Guwahati and Imphal which are operated by Guwahati International Airport Limited (GIAL) and Airports Authority of India (AAI) respectively.
View all comments