Why in News:
- NASA’s miniature robot helicopter Ingenuity performed a successful takeoff and landing on Mars
- The Ingenuity Mars Helicopter is a technology demonstration, carried out by the Perseverance rover.
- The rover released the mini helicopter that successfully made the first powered flight on another planet.
- The flight will be challenging because Mars’ thin atmosphere (which is 99% less dense than Earth’s) makes it difficult to achieve enough lift.
- It has a wireless communication system, and is equipped with computers, navigation sensors, and two cameras.
- It is solar-powered, able to charge on its own.
Importance of Ingenuity Mission:
- According to NASA, the helicopter was placed on the Martian surface to test for the first time ever-powered flight in the planet’s thin air.
- Perform a supportive role as robotic scouts, surveying terrain from above, or as full standalone science craft carrying instrument payloads.
- It will help collect samples from the surface from locations where the rover cannot reach.
- NASA will try and demonstrate rotorcraft flight in the extremely thin atmosphere of Mars with this helicopter, which is why the mission is so crucial.
To know about Perseverance Rover: https://officerspulse.com/perseverance-rover/