Indigenous Aircraft Carrier or INS Vikrant
About INS Vikrant
- Indigenous Aircraft Carrier 1 (IAC-1) is going to be the first indigenously built aircraft carrier, now under construction by Cochin Shipyard Ltd.
- It will be called INS Vikrant after being inducted into the Indian Navy.
- IAC-1 was launched in February 2013, with final approvals expected to be received in early 2022.
- It uses a Short Take Off- Barrier-Assisted Recovery system (STOBAR) to launch and recover aircraft.
- The aircraft carrier will be able to accommodate up to 30 fighters and helicopters, including Mig-29K fighters jets and Ka-31 helicopters.
Why in News?
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has arrested two persons in connection with the theft onboard the Indigenous Aircraft Carrier under construction.
|About INS Vikramaditya
View all comments