● The monthly Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) is a production volume index.
● The objective of the ICI is to provide an advance indication on production performance
of industries of ‘core’ nature. These industries are likely to impact on general economic
activities as well as industrial activities.
● The Eight Core Industries- Electricity, steel, refinery products, crude oil, coal,
cement, natural gas and fertilizers- comprise 40.27 per cent of the weight of items
included in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
● Industry Weight (In percentage)
○ Petroleum & Refinery production – 28.04
○ Electricity generation – 19.85
○ Steel production – 17.92
○ Coal production – 10.33
○ Crude Oil production – 8.98
○ Natural Gas production – 6.88
○ Cement production – 5.37
Fertilizersproduction – 2.63
● ICI is released by the Office of Economic Advisor, under the Ministry of Commerce and
Industries. The base year of the ICI is 2011-12.
Why in News?
● The Office of Economic Adviser has released Index of Eight Core Industries (ICI) for the
Month of September, 2021.
● The combined Index of Eight Core Industries stood at 126.7 in September 2021, which
increased by 4.4 per cent as compared to the Index of September 2020.