- IN-SPACe is an independent nodal agency under Department of Space (DOS) for allowing space activities and usage of DOS owned facilities by Non-Government-Private-Entities (NGPEs).
- Formally inaugurated in 2022, it acts as the promoter and regulator of space activities in India by NGPEs.
- IN-SPACe has a Chairman, technical experts for space activities, Safety experts, experts from Academia and Industries, Legal and Strategic experts from other departments.
Roles and Responsibilities
- IN-SPACe is a single window nodal agency, with its own cadre, which will permit and oversee the following activities of NGPEs.
- Space activities including building of launch vehicles and satellites and providing space based services as per the definition of space activities.
- Sharing of space infrastructure and premises under the control of ISRO with due considerations to on-going activities.
- Establishment of temporary facilities within premises under ISRO control based on safety norms and feasibility assessment
- Establishment of new space infrastructure and facilities, by NGPEs, in pursuance of space activities based on safety norms and other statutory guidelines and necessary clearances.
- Initiation of launch campaign and launch, based on readiness of launch vehicle and spacecraft systems, ground and user segment.
- Building, operation and control of spacecraft for registration as Indian Satellite by NGPEs and all the associated infrastructure for the same.
- Usage of spacecraft data and rolling out of space based services and all the associated infrastructure for the same.
Why in News?
- IN-SPACe, a commercial wing of ISRO, has informed that the PSLV-C55 mission has successfully carried PSLV Orbital Experiment Module (POEM-2).
- This module was exclusively made by Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) with an aim to provide a platform wherein non-governmental entities (NGE) and research institutes working in space technology can carry out in-orbit testing of their experiments.