- Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) framework was launched in 2018 by the Government with the aim to foster innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace Sector by engaging Industries including MSMEs, start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes and academia to promote self-reliance.
- The underlying objective is to make the country self-reliant and self-sufficient in matters of Defence.
- Fundamentally, iDEX fosters the culture of technology co-creation and co-innovation within the Defence and Aerospace sectors.
- Defence Innovation Organization (DIO), a special purpose vehicle under the aegis of the Department of Defence Production, Ministry of Defence, implements the iDEX framework.
- DIO has been formed as a ‘not for profit’ company as per Section 8 of the Companies Act 2013 by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), both Defence Public Sector Undertakings.
- DIO acts as a bridge between the requirements of the Armed Forces and the solution providers.
Why in News?
- Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) has reached a milestone with the signing of its 250th contract in New Delhi.