What’s in News?
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully carried out the static test of the HS200 solid rocket booster.
- HS200 booster is the ‘human-rated’ version of the S200 rocket boosters used on the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle Mk-III (GSLV Mk-III), also called the LVM3.
- The GSLV Mk-III rocket which will be used for the Gaganyaan mission will have two HS200 boosters which will supply the thrust for lift-off.
- The HS200 is a 20-metre-long booster witha diameter of 3.2 metres and is the world’s second largest operational booster using solid propellants.
- Of the three propulsion stages of the GSLV Mk-III, the second stage uses liquid propellant while the third is a cryogenic stage.
About Gaganyaan- Gaganyaan is the first Indian Human Space Flight Programme (HSP) with the objective to demonstrate the capability to send humans to low earth orbit.