About GST Council
- It is a constitutional body created by Article 279A (1).
- It is a joint forum of the Centre and the States with regards to GST.
Composition of GST
- Chairperson – Union Finance Minister
- Members: Union Minister of State, in- charge of Revenue or Finance
- Other Members: The Minister in-charge of finance or taxation/any other Minister nominated by each State.
- The state governments have a share of 2/3rd of the total votes and the centre has the remaining 1/3rd.
- Each state has one vote irrespective of their size.
- Decisions of GST council are made by voting with a 3/4th majority.
Why in News?
- The GST Council is likely to meet in mid-June after repeated demands from States anxious for their GST compensation dues which have been pending since December.
View all comments