What is meant by green workforce?
- “Green workforce” describes a broad grouping of careers that contribute directly to moving society and the built environment toward sustainability.
- They aim at reducing the negative environmental impact of economic sectors and further the process of creating a low carbon economy.
- Jobs involving renewable energy , energy efficiency means , etc fall under the category.
Benefits of a Green workforce
- A strong green workforce can improve the value and efficiency of the community’s natural and human systems.
- A number of community wide benefits coincide with developing, enhancing, or connecting the green workforce with local employment opportunities.
- It provides opportunities to enhance urban spaces through construction of green buildings, promoting energy use efficiency , etc
- Green jobs initiative
- The International Labour Organisation, the International Trade Union Confederation, the United Nations Environment Programme and the International Employers Organisation collectively launched the Green Jobs Initiative in 2008.
- It is aimed at at bettering placements, training and creating opportunities for individuals to work in ‘green jobs’.
- Skill Council for Green Jobs
- It was launched by the Union government on India, October 1, 2015.
- In line with the National Skill Development Missions, it was set up to be a not-for-profit, independent, industry-led initiative.
- It is promoted by the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- It aims to aid manufacturers and service providers in the green business sector.
- Specialised courses on sustainability
- Indian Institute of technology, Indian Institute of management, The energy research institute ( TERI) offer specialised courses on green economy , sustainability, green marketing, green manufacturing.
- Short term courses are available to mid-career professionals who want to switch to climate-change related work. Ex: Someone with a software background could use their knowledge to understand nutrient based solutions (NBS) in a better manner.
Why in news?
- With climate education becoming more accessible, professionals from a diversity of fields are switching to sustainability- related careers.