- Launched in 2016, the Government e-Marketplace (GeM) is a 100 percent government-owned company setup under the aegis of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is a completely paperless, cashless and system driven e-market place that enables procurement of common use goods and services with minimal human interface. GeM aims to enhance transparency, efficiency and speed in public procurement.
- GeM was developed with the technical support of the National eGovernance Division under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- In 2017, the government made it mandatory for all the departments and ministries to source goods and services from the GeM.
Why in News?
- Government e-Marketplace (GeM), India’s premier online procurement platform, is organizing Buyer-Seller Workshops in all the 75 districts of Uttar Pradesh.
- These workshops aim to enhance the understanding of GeM’s functionalities among buyers and sellers in the state, as well as provide a platform to address any queries or concerns they may have.