- The Five Eyes is an intelligence alliance consisting of the US, Britain, Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
- The alliance was created during the Cold War that was fought between the United States and the Soviet Union, as well as their respective allies.
- Throughout the Cold War, covert intelligence operations were commonplace, and often the main currency for the parties involved. As such, alliances needed to share sensitive information regarding their adversaries on all possible fronts available.
- The Five Eyes countries also frequently shared intelligence with other allied nations in Europe and Asia, also known as “third parties”, during the Cold War.
Why in News?
- Australia has become the last of the “Five Eyes” security partners to ban the Chinese-owned video-sharing app TikTok from its federal government’s devices.
- The Five Eyes intelligence-sharing partners — the United States, Canada, Britain and New Zealand — have taken similar steps.
View all comments