What’s in the news?
- The Union Cabinet has approved the continuation of Fast Track Special Court (FTSCs) as, a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) from 01.04.2023 to 31.03.2026 with financial implication of Rs. 1952 crore.
- FTSCs, designed as dedicated courts, are expected to ensure swift dispensation of justice, offering quick relief to victims while strengthening the deterrence framework for sexual offenders.
- Implemented by the Department of Justice, Ministry of Law & Justice, the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of FTSCs augments State Government resources for establishing FTSCs across the country, ensuring the swift disposal of cases related to rape and the POCSO Act.
- Thirty States/Union Territories have participated in the Scheme, operationalizing 761 FTSCs, including 414 exclusive POCSO Courts, which have resolved over 1,95,000 cases. These courts support State/UT Government efforts to provide timely justice to victims of sexual offenses. even in remote and far-flung areas.
- The expected outcomes of the scheme are:
- Reflect the nation’s commitment to ending sexual and gender-based violence.
- Substantially reduce pending cases of Rape & POCSO Act, relieving the burden on the judicial system.
- Ensure swift access to justice for victims of sexual crimes through improved facilities and expedited trials.
- Lessen the burden of cases to a manageable number.