What’s in the news?
- Tamil Nadu has been ranked the No. 1 State in Export Preparedness Index (EPI) for 2022. It is followed by Maharashtra and Karnataka.
- Gujarat has been pushed to the fourth slot this time. Tamil Nadu has been in the top 5 list among Large/Coastal States’ categories in the past two years.
- The objective of EPI, released by Niti Aayog in New Delhi, is to evaluate the export performance and pending potential of the Indian States and Union Territories.
- The EPI 2022 report evaluated the performances of states on four counts – policy, business ecosystem, export ecosystem, and export performance.
- The report begins by analysing global and Indian export trends, examining trade patterns and sector-specific performance.
- It highlights the need to focus on districts as export hubs and describes the steps taken by the government to promote this approach. The report also identifies the top exporting districts of India’s best-performing states, providing valuable insights for other states to develop tailored export promotion strategies.