What are exotic species?
- They are opposite of native species.
- They are animals and plant species introduced from other countries and which are not otherwise found locally are termed exotic.
- These introduced or exotic species can adversely affect the ecosystem.
- Alligator gar are naturally found in freshwaters of North America. It can grow upto 10 feet.
- They are brought here in India for sale as aquarium species.
- Although they may look ferocious, alligator gars pose no threat to humans and there are no known attacks on people.
- Adult alligator gars primarily prey on fish, but they are opportunistic feeders who also eat blue crabs, small turtles, waterfowl or other birds, and small mammals.
Red eared Terrapin
- Read more about it at https://officerspulse.com/red-eared-turtle/
- Neknampur Lake is a lake in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Often in news for its pollution, it is one of the prominent lakes where the restoration of biodiversity and aquatic health is taking place.
- It is also famous for its floating water treatment.
Why in the news?
- Alligator gars and red eared terrapins have been found at the Neknampur lake.
- Alligator Gars are predatory in nature, and can wipe out the entire lake of its biodiversity.
- Red eared terrapins are aggressive in nature and kill other pond turtles such as pond terrapins and flapshell turtles.
- There is no control over which kind of fish are being brought from outside and where they are being left.